2015, thanks for everything.

Branching out.
It's been a funny old year. In a good way, I mean. I started 2015 with the familiar writer-inbox staring game familiar to anyone who has both a Labrador and a biscuit tin. And then, as if by magic (because it was certainly magical at the time) I had a book deal for a thriller series. 

Inevitably, that experience has changed my perception of myself as a writer, and how I look at my books, and also - for this series at least - how I write.


There's no getting around it, success matters. I can open doors, liberate potential and liberate us to go on to new projects and new directions.  

Actually, let's not beat around the bush - it has been an amazing writing year. Freelance clients have come and gone - some unexpectedly - and I could not have predicted, back in January, how 2015 would unfold. I've posted my gratitude list below, along with a considerably shorter list of disappointments.

There aren't words to fully express my thanks to everyone who has shared a link on social media, or downloaded a book, or hosted a post. I know many of you had your own books to attend to, so I am doubly appreciative. 

If there is anyone out there who has read any of the Thomas Bladen books - or anyone else's, come to that - please consider writing an honest review on Amazon. It makes a huge difference to authors to know what readers really think about their work and it helps improve a book's chances of being seen (by some algorithmic alchemy). 

Anyway, without further ado...

Highs
Standpoint published on 17th March 2015.
- Line of Sight published on 10th May 2015.
- Cause & Effect published 28th November 2015.
- Being Tiffany Truscott's guest of her BBC Radio Cornwall show.
- Being the recipient of other people's support and generosity in helping to spread the word about my books.
- A hugely successful British author agreeing to host a blog post from little ole me.
- Starting a new magazine column about creative writing.
- The Cornishman newspaper sharing my book news with their readers.    

Lows
- Musa Publishing, who first brought The Silent Hills and superhero club (now self-published) to life, closing their doors.
- A national newspaper book reviewer not having the time to read / review Standpoint.
- The hugely successful British author, who agreed to host a blog post from little ole me, not doing it after eight months of email ping-pong.

I couldn't end this year without thanking Jasper Joffe and JoffeBooks for exceeding my expectations as a debut thriller author, and giving me a masterclass in writing for a commercial publisher. It has been an absolute blast and I look forward to breaking new ground with you in 2016.
  
I'll leave you with this well-known quote, which I like to think of as the writer's creed:

Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favour to those with knowledge, but time and chance happen to them all.

If I could pass on one thought to anyone writing or thinking about writing, it's this: just write, and keep writing. Amazing things are possible, whatever your story and whatever your personal story. (See my blog post in January for more on that topic.)

4 comments:

  1. A very inspiring post to take into 2016. Thanks, Derek, and may your success continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tomas. Onwards and upwards!

      Delete
  2. May 2016 bring even higher highs and NO lows :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll drink to that - in hot chocolate!

      Delete